What is the Bipartisan Congressional Refugee Caucus?
The Bipartisan Congressional Refugee Caucus is critical to affirming the need for the United States to demonstrate leadership both in terms of refugee resettlement and overseas refugee protection. This has never been more important, given the global refugee crisis and the Trump Administration's attacks against the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program. The decisions made by the Administration and Congress in regard to refugee protection and resettlement will continue to have profound impacts on refugees’ lives, on the American communities that welcome them and thrive because of them, and on the ability of the United States to serve as a beacon of hope to refugees in the future. The Caucus will bring together Members of Congress who care about refugees, refugee protection and refugee resettlement and will provide opportunities for collaboration around this important population and the policy issues impacting them.
Overall Refugee Caucus Goals
- Demonstrate bipartisan support for refugee resettlement
- Affirm the importance of refugee resettlement in terms of foreign policy and diplomacy
- Assert Congressional oversight to ensure the resettlement program is being implemented as stipulated by the 1980 Refugee Act
- Coordinate caucus members in actions that elevate refugee issues in Congress, media outlets, and the public narrative
- Educate and engage other Members of Congress around refugee protection and resettlement
- Support adequate funding for the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) within the Department of Health and Human Services and the Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM) within the State Department
Sample Script for Call / Visit / Letter to Member of Congress
Hello, my name is [name] and I'm your constituent from [localtion]. I'm writing/calling/visiting you today to ask you to please join the House Refugee Caucus in for the remainder of the 115th Congress.
This bipartisan caucus is more important than ever, given the global refugee crisis and significant changes that have been made to the U.S.Refugee Admissions Program over the past year. These changes have had an impact on the lives of refugees here and abroad, as well as the communities that welcome them. The Caucus will bring together Members of Congress who care about refugees, refuge protection and refugee resettlement and will provide opportunities for collaboration around this important population and the policy issues that impact them.
As [a refugee/constituent who supports protecting and welcoming refugees], I urge you to join this important Caucus.
If you are interested in joining the caucus, please contact Stephanie D. Stephens at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to your involvement in the Cuacus.
Current Members of the Refugee Caucus
- Zoe Lofgren (D- CA) Contact: Maunica Sthanki
- Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) Contact: Gabriella Bofelli
- Pramila Jayapal (D-WA)
- Randy Hultgren (R-IL)
- Andre Carson (D-IN)
- David Young (R-IA)
- Steve Stivers (R-OH)
- Jaime Raskin (D-MD)
- Mike Coffman (R-CO)